Labour wants 16 year olds to have vote.

Started by Alex, September 18, 2023, 09:16:24 AM

« previous - next »

Alex

This is not a good idea.  Sixteen year olds once given the vote will want to get married, have a full driving licence and be allowed to buy booze and cigarettes at 16.
 Anything I've forgotten ? :grin: 

Ashy

Drive a bus.

When we were young the age was 21. It was lowered to 18 under some pressure on the grounds that people were adult enough at 18; It may have been true in 1968 when most youths left school at 16 and were working. Today I have considerable doubts since most stay in full time education until 21 or more.

Raven

I don't think I'd be comfortable on a bus driven by a 16 year old. My ex husband was a bus driver as was my dad and they both had some horrific near misses of one kind or another while at work, as did the other drivers. I doubt a 16 year old could cope with the job properly, then there's dealing with the public.....Always a carry on, as I know only too well from my own work.

Michael Rolls

don't forget - according to the SNP the under 25s are not fully adult and therefore get more lenient treatment from the courts - so Labour and the SNP are clearly hoping that any 16 year old - with a further 9 years before her/him can be considered an adult will be naïve enough to vote for them!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

dextrous63

Only a matter of time before it's only the under 16's who are permitted to vote, naturally alongside any illegal immigrant (who will be given a voting slip as they disembark their dinghies), as well as anyone from the LGBQTetc community.  Oh, and anyone from an ethnic minority.

JBR

The previous two posts have it.

I have often said that the Labour party intends to reduce voting age, and to give citizenship to illegal immigrants, for one reason only: because they know that their votes in all future elections will expand enormously.

That's all the Labour party is bothered about: a well-paying job for life without any real responsibilities.

That is what will happen if the vote is given to those two groups of people, without any doubt.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Diasi

I'll accept a 16-yr-old voting if they can be tried & named in an adult court case & the media & the system stop calling them children.

And they no longer qualify for any help under the Children's Act.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

In truth we'll all be forced to accept it if the government of the day says they can. Will any of them bother though til they can do it on their phones? Obviously the "community leaders" will be getting more postal votes though.

Alex

They still need an adult with them if interviewed by the police, would that stop too  ?

Raven

If 16 year olds want to be treated like adults, then they need to take the bad along with the good. They can't have it both ways. :waiting:

Diasi

Quote from: Alex on September 18, 2023, 10:48:13 AMThey still need an adult with them if interviewed by the police, would that stop too  ?
Quote from: Raven on September 18, 2023, 11:38:07 AMIf 16 year olds want to be treated like adults, then they need to take the bad along with the good. They can't have it both ways. :waiting:
Yes, they should no longer be classed as or treated like children.

It'll certainly work in favour of the adult children illegal immigrant schoolchildren, as everyone in the sixth forms will be adults.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]