Another Example of Broken Britain.

Started by Diasi, September 02, 2023, 07:38:47 AM

« previous - next »

JBR

Quote from: Ruthio on September 03, 2023, 10:09:24 PMThats a great tip to drive in 2nd gear for 20mph and 3rd gear for 30mph, thanks for that!
I find it really difficult to stay at 20mph, my Cooper is busting to go faster!! 🚗
I think it's safer to stick to the limits, especially as there are so many cameras about these days.
Not that I'm a speed merchant, but Marge got done for going a bit over the 30 limit having just left a 40 limit area.  We reckoned that it's a means of catching people out and raising money!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Raven

Quote from: JBR on September 03, 2023, 10:44:18 PMI think it's safer to stick to the limits, especially as there are so many cameras about these days.
Not that I'm a speed merchant, but Marge got done for going a bit over the 30 limit having just left a 40 limit area.  We reckoned that it's a means of catching people out and raising money!

Councils are excellent at doing that. Edinburgh Council have several places where the speed limit changes and the signs are hard to see, also St Andrews has a road that changes in several places, unless you know, it's easy to get caught out.

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on September 03, 2023, 11:17:36 AMCruise control around our lanes is totally inappropriate and I do not like speed limiter - it can be dangerous if an emergency situation calls for acceleration. Obviously your motoring is different to mine
Mr Rolls, pay attention at the back as I've explained this to you previously.  :grin:

Your car has a kick-down that will overide the speed limiter.

As for cruise control I often use it on country rural roads as in Lincolnshire a lot of them are long & straight.

The road to Retford is rural but it has a 50mph SPECS speed camera system for the entire 15 mile journey, so I use cruise control for that.

I just tap it on & off as & when needed, & of course touching the brakes or clutch cancels it.

I never have to take my eyes off the road to check the speed.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

Phil
You know what they say about 'when all else fails read the instructions'? Just looked up the Mondeo's manual and you are right - but an earlier car most certainly wouldn't kick down in speed limiter only in cruise control - I think it was the CR-V but wouldn't swear to it. Whichever car it was, I never actually used speed limiter other than that experiment.
As for long straight roads - well, I've heard of them, but around here....
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]