Will we really do it?

Started by klondike, September 01, 2023, 10:44:38 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Put Labour in power that is.

Every other day I see stories like this...

Rishi Sunak facing 'ultimate car crash election' as new poll puts Tories at historic low

EXCLUSIVE: As Rishi Sunak tries to reboot his government with a mini reshuffle a new poll reveals that he is losing ground to Labour.

A leading pollster has warned that Rishi Sunak needs "a complete change of direction" after the latest survey revealed that the Prime Minister is heading to "a car crash" election.

On the day that Mr Sunak hoped that a mini reshuffle of his top team might help to reset his government the weekly Techne UK tracker poll has revealed that Labour's lead over the Tories has increased over the summer.

According to the poll of 1,633 UK voters Labour is 21 percent ahead of the Conservatives by 45 percent to 24 percent.

After a summer where Mr Sunak tried to snatch back the agenda with a week of measures on tackling illegal migrants including the giant barge to house asylum seekers, and getting tougher on crime, his party has lost two points.

Labour is also down one point with the Lib Dems up one on 11 percent, Reform UK up two on 8 percent and the Greens on six points.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1808099/rishi-sunak-tracker-poll-car-crash-election?utm_source=whatsapp&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=communities

Now for me the Tories are beyond my forgiveness. In power since 2010 and the economy is in tatters as are public finances and there isn't a single public service I can point to and say is working adequately. I won't be voting Labour as a result I'll be voting Reform and there is no way I'm going to bottle out. The thing is history tells me that without a doubt the current state of the nation points in one direction only - a Labour government. Whatever I do won't change that so I may as well go with my conscience and vote for a party that says, imo at least, the right things. Whether they'd be able to do them is another matter and it's pretty much certain that they won't get the chance to but at least I won't have voted for the coming of something even worse than we have.

Alex

If only all Tory voters would give Reform a chance.  If only those red wall voters returning to Labour would give Reform a chance.  If only all those 'right wing' parties would put their egos to one side and join forces to form one big party .....  If only.

JBR

Quote from: Alex on September 01, 2023, 11:43:34 AMIf only all Tory voters would give Reform a chance.  If only those red wall voters returning to Labour would give Reform a chance.  If only all those 'right wing' parties would put their egos to one side and join forces to form one big party .....  If only.

Although I agree that a combination of true right-wing Conservatives and Reform could collectively raise enough votes to form the next government, I'm afraid that after Boris doing the dirty on UKIP in an earlier election, how many would trust the Conservatives to keep their word?

No.  Like many others I have heard, I shall vote Reform.  If not enough people see the sense in that, they will get exactly what they deserve.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Alex

If Reform, Reclaim, English Heritage, UKIP etc became one party with one leader, they couuld win seats all over UK.    It wouldn't matter whether the Tories were standing or not.

JBR

Quote from: Alex on September 01, 2023, 05:09:40 PMIf Reform, Reclaim, English Heritage, UKIP etc became one party with one leader, they couuld win seats all over UK.    It wouldn't matter whether the Tories were standing or not.
I'm aware of Reform and Reclaim, but I wasn't aware that UKIP is still in existence.  Is it?
English Heritage - I have heard of them, but wasn't aware of them being a political party.

Of course, if all four are still alive and kicking, I sincerely hope they do unite as that would provide a formidable group and I'm sure they'd all have pretty similar intentions.
I seem to remember hearing that Reform alone had stated that they intend to stand in most of the constituencies.  If others of like mind add their names to the roll, that would also help.  However, unless they do all unite under a single name, their individual votes of support will not be combined.

Alex

I think UKIP is still going JBR isn't that twit Neil Hamilton running it ?   Course it may have folded and that's old information, they still have a site though.

https://www.ukip.org/about-UKIP

Heritage Party is still going, probably has 47 members  :grin:

https://heritageparty.org/about/

GrannyMac

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

For any change to take place the Conservative party needs to be completely annihilated. Maybe then some worthwhile successor would rise.

JBR

Quote from: Alex on September 02, 2023, 09:32:37 PMI think UKIP is still going JBR isn't that twit Neil Hamilton running it ?  Course it may have folded and that's old information, they still have a site though.

https://www.ukip.org/about-UKIP

Heritage Party is still going, probably has 47 members  :grin:

https://heritageparty.org/about/
Thank you.  That's encouraging.
I assume that Reform, Reclaim, UKIP and Heritage all have similar ideals and intentions.
In my opinion, the best thing they can all do is to unite and combine all their supporters.

The problem is that each has its own followers, and combining under a single name might distract some people and perhaps lose votes.

Perhaps the best option, then, would be to make an agreement that, once the votes are in, they could combine their votes.  Unfortunately, the rules would probably not allow that and the people who decide the winner in each constituency will count the numbers separately so that, even if the four combined form the highest number of votes, they would not count collectively.

I think the only way around that is to first agree on a unification under a single leader, and then widely publicise the names of all four parties and make it clear that all four are now combined under a single title.

Michael Rolls

no way can votes be combined - they would have to fight under a single party name
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

A new Democratic party is needed, but perhaps Tice, having the most members is reluctant to join any other parties. ?

JBR

Quote from: Michael Rolls on September 03, 2023, 11:15:19 AMno way can votes be combined - they would have to fight under a single party name
Yes, as I said, and so they should.

I suppose there is another possibility.  If each of the four parties agreed not to contest the other three in any constituency, and decided in which to stand according to their perceived following in each, there might be more chance of them winning some seats.
Or perhaps that would create more confusion among the electorate.

No.  They should agree to combine, but under which name?

Alex

JBR