Climate Change, Heat Pumps & EVs.

Started by Diasi, August 07, 2023, 08:17:33 PM

« previous - next »

Diasi

Ours are still SMETS 1 meters.

I use the Loop Energy app which I find to be quite good.

August 29, 2023, 04:18:57 PM
At the moment if the UK was reliant on wind, solar, nuclear & biomass we'd be 13 GWs short of the demand so there'd be some serious power rationing.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

I use the Hugo app. Octopus - my provider's site isn't up to much imo.

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on August 29, 2023, 04:41:24 PMI use the Hugo app. Octopus - my provider's site isn't up to much imo.

Thanks, I'll install it & see how it compares.

Well that was easy, much quicker & simpler to register than with the Look Energy App.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Diasi

Well I've found out why my renewable energy doesn't save me any money.

It's all to do with the Contracts of Difference Scheme which, when all the bullshit's stripped away, means that renewable energy is expensive to install & often doesn't generate any power.

Therefore, to address the problem of no one being willing to invest in something that often doesn't generate power & thus makes no money during down time, the Government has come up with this wheeze that allows renewable energy companies to charge the equivalent of producing power when they're not producing power.

Oh, it's no use saying "you couldn't make it up" because some tosser has.
[email protected]

Raven

I remember my mother and lots of others being conned over electricity. They were all told if they stopped using their coal fires and fitted in an electric fire it would be,
1-cleaner.
2- cheaper.
Guess what......Yes it was cleaner, and easier, but cost a fortune to run.

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: klondike on August 29, 2023, 04:41:24 PMI use the Hugo app. Octopus - my provider's site isn't up to much imo.

We have been using Outfox the Market for a few years now.
It is not one of the 'big six', but has been reliable and competitively priced throughout all of this time.

They do not demand the acceptance of smart meters, which I would always avoid, and I am quite happy to read both meters once a month and submit the readings online.  They have trusted in my honesty throughout, although of course they could look at the meters (in cabinets outside) at any time if they wanted to check.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Michael Rolls

haven't seen a meter reader since before lockdown
[email protected]

klondike

Quote from: JBR on August 31, 2023, 07:36:02 PMThey have trusted in my honesty throughout, although of course they could look at the meters (in cabinets outside) at any time if they wanted to check.
With most of the time during the summer months being spent at the caravan those energy bills were very low and we got very frequent "safety check" requests on the meters (in my cellar) as they clearly suspected bypassing. I got fed up with that and had smart meters fitted. As soon as we moved supplier- something I did most years chasing cheap deals and cashback they stopped working so I got some fitted by the new supplier too. When I switched supplier....  :grin:   Anyway Avros went bust and Octopus took over. They got the meters working again but I find their site to be poor for checking the smart meter data and the Hugo app does that much better.

klondike

Report: Ballooning Electric Vehicle Supply Far Outstrips Demand

Supply of electric vehicles is far outstripping demand across the domestic UK market, forcing manufacturers to cut prices in an effort to attract disinterested drivers.

The Evening Standard reports car dealership Vertu Motors revealed the lack of interest as traditionally powered vehicles maintain their stranglehold on the market for both new and used cars.

The dealership chain, with 189 sales and aftersales outlets including a number in the London commuter belt, said improved sales of new cars helped it ensure profit this year should be in line with expectations – with one exception.
When it came to electric vehicles, it said supply had ballooned in a way that did not match demand, causing many manufacturers to cut prices to move stock.

"Recent increased supply of new electric vehicles appears to be exceeding retail demand, creating an imbalance in pipeline inventory coming into the key plate change month of September," it said. "Manufacturers are reacting to this through the offer of discounted prices and supported finance rates to stimulate retail demand.

Tesla, which does not sell via dealerships, has been among the high-profile electric vehicle makers to have cut prices lately, with the cost of many of its models being slashed on multiple occasions while U.S. auto safety regulators have opened another investigation into safety problems with the vehicles.

Full story : https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2023/09/01/report-ballooning-electric-vehicle-supply-far-outstrips-demand/

Raven

They could give them away for free and I still wouldn't be interested in having one. :yell:

klondike

I'd have one if it came fully charged. 200 miles of free motoring can't be sneezed at. After that they are more expensive and less convenient to fuel than ICE cars and there is no way I could have a home charger - no drive and no reserved parking.

Diasi

Quote from: Raven on September 02, 2023, 09:58:37 AMThey could give them away for free and I still wouldn't be interested in having one. :yell:
Me neither, I couldn't be arsed taking a very stressful EV 9 hours to do a 3 hour ICE journey.
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

[email protected]