nice suprise

Started by alfred, May 17, 2022, 01:53:35 PM

« previous - next »

alfred

With the sun shine it seems that in my garden we have in the past had some lovely roses and over time they have seen better days well one rose was virtually finished and so like many people i cut it back that was last year and thought if it lasts it'll be  wonder  well this month alone the rose had a regeneration of an amazing amount of buds on it and some have now opened up with a beautiful show of  big and bright yellow  flowers on it ,

its surprising as iv had this rose over many years and like many of you , at times it pays to cut back hard in order for the plant to thrive and get strong again,.so im well pleased , last year i was give a large shrub  hot lips a flower who name shows what looks like lips when it flowers ,

Q;  do you like gardening and if so what flowers do you like to grow , and will you share your thoughts with us,

Alex

The only rose I have in my garden Alfred is a straggly looking rose bush, it has white flowers and an aunt gave me the plant about 20 years ago !   I don't know anything about looking after them, but yellow roses are my favourite flowers! 
My plants are mainly shrubs in pots and I do like Hostas, but it's difficult to keep the slugs away.  I've got them all in pots on a metal table but the flaming slugs can still get up. I've tried copper tape before with a little bit of success, then tried coffee grains, but that was useless. Today I've put Vaseline around the table top and put salt on it, so here's hoping.  :grin:

Raven

I love my garden and used to spend hours daily working in it. But I can't do anything like what I used to do now, so the flower beds were cleared and I got big shrubs/azaleas ect in them with bark chips spread around it all.
I have big troughs for bedding plants these days and always have begonias, petunias, pansies, carnations, geraniums to name a few, the place is a riot of colour by the middle of June. Then there's the greenhouse but this year it's only had plug plants growing on and now it has tomatoes.
I also have 6 hanging baskets all potted up and just waiting to be moved outside.
Will take a few pics.

zoony

Quote from: Alex on May 17, 2022, 04:03:15 PM
The only rose I have in my garden Alfred is a straggly looking rose bush, it has white flowers and an aunt gave me the plant about 20 years ago !   I don't know anything about looking after them, but yellow roses are my favourite flowers! 
My plants are mainly shrubs in pots and I do like Hostas, but it's difficult to keep the slugs away.  I've got them all in pots on a metal table but the flaming slugs can still get up. I've tried copper tape before with a little bit of success, then tried coffee grains, but that was useless. Today I've put Vaseline around the table top and put salt on it, so here's hoping.  :grin:

As long as you're sure that the slugs aren't actually living in the pot...

Alex

I've checked Zoon, my neighbour says to go out at night with a torch to catch the buggars

hugh

Green fly a garden pest and you can quite often see ants going up to them, do not be fooled into thinking they are eating them, they are not, the green fly gets a free ride  to the next plant. Keep an eye on ants they will show where the green fly are hiding.

If you see slug damage to a potted plant, repot with fresh compost if you can.
Happy Golfer

zoony

Quote from: Alex on May 17, 2022, 05:11:01 PM
I've checked Zoon, my neighbour says to go out at night with a torch to catch the buggars

:upvote:

GrannyMac

We have a red rose and a yellow, both given to OH and I as presents for our Ruby and golden weddings. I also have a pink 'Mum in a Million' bought by my daughter as a birthday gift.

The lilac tree smells heavenly and one peony is in full bloom.  I have a variety of bedders waiting to be put in tubs.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖