Indicator light.

Started by Scrumpy, May 15, 2022, 09:10:07 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

I'd guess at 164 stone 10lbs (excluding handbag).

Scrumpy

She is a stunning 22 year old..  :clap: :yahoo: :clap:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Few EVs will be able to boast that. I doubt any will ever get their batteries replaced as it was o in of make no economic sense.

Michael Rolls

One think about the Hybrid Mondeo - that huge battery in the boot (as is the normal battery) has clearly altered the weight distribution, to the point that the front end is quite squirrelly under hard acceleration - not something in which to indulge on a slippery surface.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

The acceleration on a hybrid is going to be better than a typical internal combustion engine. Maybe you are burning more rubber?

Scrumpy

She was the biz all those years back..
Automatic wipers.. lights.. etc;   Silver in colour... could shift her ass at the lights..

She turned many a head.. I liked going out with her. :wink:

The only thing she wasn't too hot on was reversing..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Some  cars are like that unfortunately.  :sad:

Michael Rolls

Quote from: klondike on May 17, 2022, 10:37:51 AM
The acceleration on a hybrid is going to be better than a typical internal combustion engine. Maybe you are burning more rubber?
despite 2 litre engine and the electric motor to help, the acceleration on the hybrid is definitely less than with its predecessor which was only 1.5. I am talking about typical overtaking acceleration from 40 or so to 70 or so. Don't know how they would compare from a standing start - nor interested for that matter. I don't know how much the battery weighs, but seeing it occupies the whole width of the boot and a third of its depth it must be a fair amount and its centre of gravity is fractionally behind the rear axle. Be interesting to see how it copes on ice/snow come winter.
Don't get me wrong - the acceleration is adequate, just less that its predecessor, which felt much more assured when you put your foot down, no squirrelly sensation.
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

I guess the hybrid has the disadvantange of a double weight penalty - batteries plus engine although I assumed that the batteries would be a lot less than a full EV. My son's electric goes like the proverbial excrement off a shovel. It outperforms his other car (a BMW which he keeps for holidays and the like because of the lack of charging points) and that one is certainly no slouch.

Can't guess on the handling but the truth is few of the current generation of EVs were designed from the ground up as EVs so battery placement will likely be a compromise for them. His was a ground up EV design and I think just about the whole floor area is a battery.

The warmer weather is improving the economy too. He sent me a whatsapp pic showing 4.1 miles per kilowatt from his trip to work yesterday. Colder weather makes it worse apparently.

Diasi

The problem with an EV, unless used locally as a shopping trolley, is that it can take 6 hours to do a 3 hour journey.

You know how twitchy you can get when the petrol gauge drops into the red, well it seems to be like that all the time when driving an EV from the videos I've watched.

Range anxiety I think it's called.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

There was a comment I heard on Farage about one of those that took 11 hours because there aren't enough charge points. I think it said the installation rate needed to rise by 350% for there to be enough around for the 2030 EV only plan to be viable. My son got one mostly for journeys to and from work as he can charge at home overnight. As usual for him, who should he trip always seems to fall into a barrel of roses (unlike his sister who is the exact opposite), he got it just before fuel prices started to skyrocket and 4 miles for every (economy seven) kilowatt hour knocks spots of petrol or diesel pricing and still would if (when?) it doubles.

Michael Rolls

well, the hybrid does 49 mpg compared to 32 for its predecessor. Earlier, I said it cost £5,000 more; in fact, after more careful checking, it actually cost £8,000 more. As I spend a bit under £1,000 a year on petrol (even at today's prices) that £8,000 would pay for an awful lot of miles.
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

Individuals chose their vehicles based on need and preference. From what you've said you chose yours because you prefer newer cars and wanted essentially the same car but couldn't get it. Had that been me I would have just kept the one I had for longer as I put no great value on having a car no more than 3 years. That £8k would pay for a lot of taxis and garage bills too should the worse come to the worse which I doubt it would. 

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

Raven

Fortunately for my wallet I am not one who needs/wants a bang up to date Posing Car that gets renewed over n over. The longest I kept a car was 12 years, and it wasn't new when I got it. That was my first Range Rover, I loved that car, I called her Black Bess. The Yeti I have now is going into her 3rd year with me.