Electric vehicles

Started by zoony, May 13, 2022, 03:13:50 PM

« previous - next »

Diasi

Quote from: -Oy- on May 15, 2022, 10:05:44 AM
Those electric scooters are a menace in Cambridge. Especially for folk with poor hearing. I've nearly been mowed down a few times there.
I think you need above excellent hearing to hear something that's silent.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

-Oy-

Quote from: Diasi on May 15, 2022, 10:13:15 AM
I think you need above excellent hearing to hear something that's silent.
You need to listen out for the trail of yells as other folk get mowed down on it's way to you!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

zoony

Scatter ye tin-tacks while ye may... :wink:

Michael Rolls

Quote from: klondike on May 15, 2022, 08:57:07 AM
It was Phil's comment about being responsible for not running  over pedestrians and cyclist over I was referring to.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/new-highway-code-rules-what-you-need-to-know/#:~:text=Rule%20H2%20applies%20to%20drivers,from%20which%20you%20are%20turning.%E2%80%9D

The revised Highway Code came into effect from 29 January 2022, following calls to protect vulnerable road users. There are a significant number of changes but, from a driver's perspective, some of the biggest are:

1 creation of a new 'hierarchy of road users' that ensures those who can do the greatest harm have the greatest responsibility to reduce the danger or threat they may pose to others

2 clarify existing rules on pedestrian priority on pavements and when crossing the road

3 provide guidance on safe passing distances and ensuring cyclists and horse riders have priority when travelling straight ahead at junctions

not really new, mostly common sense and/or courtesy, although turning into a side road and realising a pedestrian is waiting to cross as opposed to already so doing and braking runs a good risk of being rear-ended - as I have mentioned before. Not a good idea. Still can't find anything about audible warnings for silent vehicles
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Scrumpy

I find that mobility drivers can be damned ignorant too.
Many seem to think that all pedestrians should move out of the way for them..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Quote from: Michael Rolls on May 15, 2022, 05:21:07 PM
not really new, mostly common sense and/or courtesy, although turning into a side road and realising a pedestrian is waiting to cross as opposed to already so doing and braking runs a good risk of being rear-ended - as I have mentioned before. Not a good idea. Still can't find anything about audible warnings for silent vehicles
Mike
I agree that the new rules will cause problems and have already read of some cyclists riding in the middle of their lane rather than the side.

The Highway code isn't the place there will be mention of audible warnings from silent vehicles as it would be part of the Construcrion and Use regulations manufacturers have to follow.

Michael Rolls

Quote from: klondike on May 15, 2022, 10:11:58 PM
I agree that the new rules will cause problems and have already read of some cyclists riding in the middle of their lane rather than the side.

The Highway code isn't the place there will be mention of audible warnings from silent vehicles as it would be part of the Construcrion and Use regulations manufacturers have to follow.
Ah, that's why I can't find it. On cyclists - the HC does behove them to be considerate - some chance!
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Fury as council tells cyclists to use the WHOLE main road rather than dedicated 7ft-wide bike lane as drivers ask: 'is there ANY room left for cars?' after change in Highway Code

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10824487/Fury-council-tells-cyclists-use-main-road-dedicated-7ft-wide-bike-lane.html

• Cyclists are being encouraged to abandon a cycle lane in Bournemouth, Dorset
  • Instead, large bike signs have been painted on to a main road in the town centre
  • Council hopes making cyclists more 'prominent' will force traffic to slow down
  • Motorists believe the new road layout is the latest move to drive cars off the road

Raven

Wonder how the cyclists feel about being used as Bait to slow the traffic? :angry: Bad Idea. :downvote:

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on May 15, 2022, 05:21:07 PM
not really new, mostly common sense and/or courtesy, although turning into a side road and realising a pedestrian is waiting to cross as opposed to already so doing and braking runs a good risk of being rear-ended
Mike

Maybe so, but my responsibilty remains to the pedestrian, not to the bad driver behind me.

Also any braking I did would be minimal as I'd only be turning at walking pace.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]