Films

Started by zoony, December 21, 2021, 09:37:07 PM

« previous - next »

TREBOR

The Downton Abbey film is a bit light on story line but still compulsive viewing if you are into historical dramas.

Jacqueline

I love Downton for the clothes., Went to an exhibition of some of the costumes at Llanelly House a few years ago, those girls are sooo thin, tiny waists.  One dress was for Lady Rose, a pink beaded flapper dress that had been found in a Paris flea market, the costume department had to repair thousands of beads apparently.  The attention to detail is amazing.

Scrumpy

I agree that the fashion of the day in Downton Abbey is done beautifully.. However the acting seemed wooden.. Lady Mary is so snooty it spoils the character for me..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

1955vintage

Watched Downton Abbey again the other night. Michele Dockery came onto the screen and my wife and I burst into laughter. If you have seen a film called the Gentlemen, you will see her in a different light. We both said 'There is ******** afoot'.

The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Michael Rolls

When Lady Rose was presented at court, there was a letter in the Telegraph from a titled Lady whose father (grandfather?)had been one of the senior officials at presentations back in the day. No way, we were assured, would Lady Rose have been allowed to have dressed so flamboyantly at the time. Debs had to dress demurely, not arrive as though they had raided an ostrich farm!
Mike (hope I've got the right Lady - pretty sure it was Rose)
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Scrumpy

It seemed that all the cast from Downton were standing around waiting for their one line to be spoken.. Far too many people hanging about waiting...
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Couldn't recall who Lady Rose was. The other one is doing adverts for Sky now and I'd have thought she was more the feathers type.

Michael Rolls

she was the mildly rebellious girl who came to live at DA for reasons I remember not. Played by Lily James, Rose was the daughter (from looking it up, not from memory) of the MacClares - Lord and Lady Flintshire
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Yes I sort of remember the tale. One was the fairly plain prim and proper one who got up the duff courtesy of the Irish Republican chauffeur iirc.  Downton A tale of everyday gentlefolk  :grin: The other one was probably a bit of eye candy brought in to boost sagging viewing figure as it ran into the 23rd season. I did watch them all and the film and found them to be gentle entertainment.

zoony

Quote from: 1955vintage on January 05, 2022, 08:14:31 AM
Watched Downton Abbey again the other night. Michele Dockery came onto the screen and my wife and I burst into laughter. If you have seen a film called the Gentlemen, you will see her in a different light. We both said 'There is ******** afoot'.

Enjoyed The Gentlemen very much Vintage.. Top Brit film..

1955vintage

Hats off to Hugh Grant for a very different role.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

zoony

I'm sure he enjoyed the change.. Must get very bored playing variations of himself all the time..

crabbyob

well John Wayne never did.... :nooo:

Alex

klondike

Quote from: zoony on January 05, 2022, 04:10:32 PM
I'm sure he enjoyed the change.. Must get very bored playing variations of himself all the time..
I'm guessing there is one variation that is unlikelty to hit the silver screen  :wink: