The Ashes

Started by Michael Rolls, December 20, 2021, 10:20:39 AM

« previous - next »

zoony

Quote from: 1955vintage on January 09, 2022, 08:19:05 AM
Poor technique (whatever happened to straight up and down the line) and poor shot selection means the top three are a waste of time.

I think we will get pasted in the fifth test.

Should this thread be moved tot he controversial section.

Dunno Mike, is there a 'Glass always half-empty' thread?  :wink:

Michael Rolls

with most of our top order 'glass half empty' would be an improvement
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

zoony

Come come! I heard it described as "A THRILLING Draw!"!.. :grin: :grin:

Michael Rolls

Yes - the thrill lay in the sheer nervous energy expended waiting for those last few deliveries to be kept out. In the entire history of the Ashes it is only the second time a side has hung on for a draw with nine wickets down. The other time was in 2005 when Australia were the escapees at Old Trafford. Oddly enough, that means that in both cases it was the visiting side that survived.
Mike
[email protected]

zoony

Mike, It's so nice to see that little dog in her mum's arms rather than sitting alone..Good to see your lovely lady too.

Michael Rolls

thank you. One of my favourite pictures of the two of them.
Mike
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

I was intrigued be the dismissal of Joe Root in the second innings, and his dismissal in the second innings of the third Test. Caught behind off a faint edge both times, once at slip, once by the keeper, to very similar deliveries. Both from Boland, both of no great pace and, as far as one could see on the screen, no movement off the seam. Both around off stump so not safe to leave. Each time Root seemed to simply misjudge the line of the delivery when attempting a defensive stroke to a straight ball. Reminded me of dear old Fred Trueman's comment upon seeing that sort of dismissal. 'Thing is 'e were playing down  't Piccadilly line, but ball were on 't Waterloo' or words to that general effect.
Mike
[email protected]

Cassandra

I watched the last day, a losing draw and so close to the huge defeat I'd predicted. I don't know whats wrong with Joe at the moment. Perhaps Boland is temporarily (or forever) his nemesis. I think he's a fine bowler by the way accurate and persistive. They (The Lockdowners) have found a fault line. just short of a length off stump, where he seems unable to commit. Naturally he's a back and across player.

For instance Trevor Bailey would have played him much better off the front foot and probably sent him and the slips to sleep in the process! The great Ken Barrington and particularly his fellow Surrey team mate John Edrich would have been better at leaving these balls alone off the back. Shot selection and lack of patience generally again contributed to the sad spectacle of endemic failure.

One good think! How beautifully Zak Crawley stroked the ball for his 77 off only a 100 balls. Reminds me so much of Ted Dexter at that age. We must persevere, he'd be in my side permanently, whatever the scores, because he' so talented. 

Similarly for the reverse reason, Hameed would be out for good. Nice chap, but strictly a County player only I'm afraid.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

Only seeing the highlights is always a pain - virtually every ball taking a wicket or conceding runs - but what I saw of Crawley looked really good. Can't remember his dismissal, must try and find it
Mike
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

again difficult to judge fairly from just highlights, but Hameed, to me, never looked even remotely comfortable at this level. Between him and Burns - not much to choose. To my mind, neither really good enough.
[email protected]

klondike

I reckon you've made more posts in this thread and the one on PF than England got runs in the series  :grin:

Cassandra

Quote from: klondike on January 11, 2022, 09:52:51 PM
I reckon you've made more posts in this thread and the one on PF than England got runs in the series  :grin:

A good bet klon :wink:
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

Not hard, believe me, not hard!
Mike   [1160] [1160]
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

Guess what - combining my posts on here and PF makes me England's second centurion - only Bairstow's 135 outscores my 102!

Mike  :wow:
[email protected]

klondike

:grin: :grin: :grin:

And that's only two innings.