vegans,

Started by alfred, January 17, 2022, 01:47:30 PM

« previous - next »

alfred

With an over expanding world , as meat is gradually becoming scarce due to over population, could we end up like the Chinese who are basically rice eaters, where as in the western world the idea of becoming a vegan is some thing which is gradually being suggested by the t.v adverts on the screen,

Q; what are your thoughts on the way we eat, and in the future could there be more vegans than meat eaters,.

Michael Rolls

we are carnivore biased omnivores. Our teeth and digestive tract demonstrate the fact. The vegan diet is OK for adults who have had a more normal diet prior to the switch, but is positively dangerous for young children
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

The only vegetarian food I've tried is Linda McCartney's Red Onion & Rosemary Sausages, they were ok but of course not as tasty as a pork banger  :smiley:

Raven

My one and only trial of Vegan Meat was a packet of Quorn Mince........Never Again. :ugh: We both took one mouthful, looked each other and went Yuck.  [1170]
It ended up going down the toilet, and we went out for a Fish Supper.  [2090]

zoony

Quote from: alfred on January 17, 2022, 01:47:30 PM
With an over expanding world , as meat is gradually becoming scarce due to over population, could we end up like the Chinese who are basically rice eaters, where as in the western world the idea of becoming a vegan is some thing which is gradually being suggested by the t.v adverts on the screen,

Q; what are your thoughts on the way we eat, and in the future could there be more vegans than meat eaters,.

zoony

Where's my post gone!?  :waiting:

I just made a comment about how peculiar it looks to see Chinese people eating a Western diet sporting big bellies and backsides..

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

klondike

Quote from: zoony on January 17, 2022, 03:19:04 PM
Where's my post gone!?  :waiting:
Nothing showing in the error log.

zoony

Happy to put that one down as a user error..Prob'ly my fault.

klondike

I was messing about later but I doubt anybody noticed and it wouldn't have logged anybody out.
Ideally I'd set up a copy and do any mods on there but it's a bit of a PITA and you can still have fat finger problems even if you do because at some point the live system has to be modified.

Scrumpy

Today for lunch I had Plant Mushroom Spaghetti Bolognese.. Horrible stuff.. Left a nasty aftertaste..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Some musghrooms can have a very acquired taste. I can't stand those brown skinned ones - Shiitake strong and to me unplreasant taste. Had to bung a casserole they were tried in. The whole thing was permeated with the taste of them. Lots in the supermarkets though so plenty must like them.

I've had a starter of mushroom in a restaurant and couldn't eat it. I avoid them now. A friend collects wild ones identifying the edible ones from a book. I told his wife to be sure to take it to casualty with him if needs be to point out what he thinks it was he found.

Dayjo

Our son eats nothing (much), but meat. And, nothing which grows underground
As you slide down the banister of life.
May the splinters never point in the wrong direction.

GrannyMac

There's a great veggie cafe in town. I'm not vegetarian, certainly not vegan, but I've had very good food there.  They make great soup and quiches, curries etc.  It was always full at lunchtimes when I worked nearby, but I haven't been since lockdown. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Michael Rolls

Quote from: Michael Rolls on January 17, 2022, 02:03:23 PM
we are carnivore biased omnivores. Our teeth and digestive tract demonstrate the fact. The vegan diet is OK for adults who have had a more normal diet prior to the switch, but is positively dangerous for young children
Mike
From the May 2021 issue of the journal of the National Library of Medicine:-

>>European statements include strong recommendations to parents that vegan diets should not be adopted by children without medical and dietetic supervision. Case histories of malnutrition and serious harm persist, including irreversible neurological damage due to vitamin B12 deficiency among un-supplemented children.<<

Note this is talking about children, not adults who had a normal diet before switching, but for a truly horrific case history:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-49430857
Mike
[email protected]