are we really safe,

Started by alfred, January 17, 2022, 01:44:01 PM

« previous - next »

Cassandra

Quote from: Alex on January 17, 2022, 03:56:13 PM
Having been shot to within a slivver of my life once and suffering a life-changing injury as a result; I would this time want to to be able to either prevent the event happening, or hopefully respond to my aggressor.

My God that's awful Cass, did you think about a change of profession after that happened ?  I'm assuming it was 'work' related

I related the story Alex, a while ago now on the 'other place'. Following a successful prosecution, I was followed from the Court to where my car was parked in a multi-storey and shot at short range as I got in. It was a head shot, but the ageing, heavy leather case (of my father's) I was holding, full with files and papers fortunately took the bulk of the impact. However it still severed my ulna and radial nerves at the brechial plexus, leaving my right arm and hand paralysed today over four decades on.

It only made me more determined to progress and succeed ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

klondike

Well done. I'm sure some may have taken a different path.

Scrumpy

Cassandra..

As Mae West would say.. 'Is that a gun in your pocket.. Or are you just pleased to see me.' ?
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

zoony

I think Mae might've had something a little larger than a derringer in mind.. :rolleyes:

Cassandra

Quote from: zoony on January 17, 2022, 05:06:30 PM
I think Mae might've had something a little larger than a derringer in mind.. :rolleyes:

Mine's actually a Bond 'Roughneck'. Derringer went out of production years ago, but their clever design persists today with many companies reproducing the 'chic' of its appearance. If you hit something with one barrel after another at say anything up to 12 feet the impact with .45 shells is devastating. They also make '.22's' for ladies to pop in their handbags or down - elsewhere! The mind boggles.

Cassandra

Quote from: Scrumpy on January 17, 2022, 04:35:32 PM
Cassandra..

As Mae West would say.. 'Is that a gun in your pocket.. Or are you just pleased to see me.' ?

Scrumps, the lovely lady (Lucille Ball lookalike with the store in town) asked me Xmas day "what I was packing and where". I had to firstly elucidate that she was talking 'guns'. I couldn't show her mine as it was at home, but she showed me hers following a visit to the ladies. "Fancy a habit hon - always keep lil Betsy where it's warm at work and can't get outa the habit somehow - even t'day".

She's very saucy and quite delightful. Just to prove how awful I am with a camera here's a pic!

klondike

Quote from: Cassandra on January 17, 2022, 05:13:41 PM
If you hit something with one barrel after another at say anything up to 12 feet the impact with .45 shells is devastating.
What's the effect on your hand firing such a lightweight piece? I'm thinking of dear old Newton and his tedious laws of action and reaction  :smiley:

Cassandra

Quote from: klondike on January 17, 2022, 05:41:11 PM
What's the effect on your hand firing such a lightweight piece? I'm thinking of dear old Newton and his tedious laws of action and reaction  :smiley:

I was told how to hold it at the range, shoot with a soft hand, post release. Although there was of course a sharp reaction to the discharge I figured it out after 4 or five shots and got a lot more accurate by the time I'd fired 12.

To be honest I've experienced far worse playing cricket ...

Scrumpy

Your Lucille Ball lookalike sounds great fun..
I love how you describe the 'show me yours and I'll show you mine'..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Quote from: Cassandra on January 17, 2022, 05:56:34 PM
I was told how to hold it at the range, shoot with a soft hand, post release. Although there was of course a sharp reaction to the discharge I figured it out after 4 or five shots and got a lot more accurate by the time I'd fired 12.
A braver man than me. I've never fired a handgun but have had a shoulder bruised black and blue firing a Lee Enfield of about WW2 vintage belonging to my son at Bisley on one of his club's guest days (I have no FAC).

zoony

Quote from: Cassandra on January 17, 2022, 05:35:58 PM
Scrumps, the lovely lady (Lucille Ball lookalike with the store in town) asked me Xmas day "what I was packing and where". I had to firstly elucidate that she was talking 'guns'. I couldn't show her mine as it was at home, but she showed me hers following a visit to the ladies. "Fancy a habit hon - always keep lil Betsy where it's warm at work and can't get outa the habit somehow - even t'day".

She's very saucy and quite delightful. Just to prove how awful I am with a camera here's a pic!

Wow.. She's certainly a dead ringer mate.. Great smile.

Dayjo

I loved my shooting days! Always loaded my own ammo.
I developed my own 12 bore, spreader cartridges, for clay shooting.

I was much more successful, with pistols. Loved bowling pin competitions!
Was a certificated Range Officer, for the final 6 years.....
As you slide down the banister of life.
May the splinters never point in the wrong direction.

klondike

I did try clay shooting but they tasted crap.  :grin:

Cassandra

Quote from: zoony on January 17, 2022, 06:37:21 PM
Wow.. She's certainly a dead ringer mate.. Great smile.

Thanks Zoon, She tells me she's shorter than Lucille by about 4", who was 5'8" apparently and:

"I'm a real redhead and I can prove it".  (Lucille was in real life a brunette).

She tells me people stop her everywhere and ask if she's her daughter etc. However whilst there is a real similarity, Annie has stunning green eyes, from her Irish roots. As you say a great smile, hilarious company and loves animals of all sorts. Edged tears the first time she saw Hollie and my little horse 'Dixie' has really taken to her. Animals are good judges of people's inner souls I've found.

zoony