Help !

Started by Alex, January 13, 2022, 11:54:20 AM

« previous - next »

Alex

I need to buy a bolt for a wooden door but it needs to lock vertically.  The one I've got won't stay up and is meant to go horizontLLy.  Can anyone tell me what sort of bolt I should be looking for ?  thanks guys.

Michael Rolls

I've never seen a bolt that won't work vertically, although obviously you have found one. Every bolt I have ever used rotates 90 degrees to open and close. Just look on e-bay under door bolt to see what I mean
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

Having browsed through the E-bay first page, there is actually a bolt on there which would clearly only work horizontally - daft idea - all the others work properly
Mike
[email protected]

Alex

I've been looking in Screwfix pages but it's hard to tell from the photos.  I'll ask my next door neighbour   :upvote:

Michael Rolls

Quote from: Alex on January 13, 2022, 12:13:02 PM
I've been looking in Screwfix pages but it's hard to tell from the photos.  I'll ask my next door neighbour   :upvote:
Look on e-bay - they are absolutely clear - and cheap
Mike
[email protected]

Alex

My neighbour says it's called a Barrel Bolt  :cool: you learn something every  day.......

Michael Rolls

Never knew that - always just called them bolts - learn something new every day - and probably forget it tomorrow
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

I thought they could all be rotated to stay in place. Only differnces I was aware of was size and style.

I looked on Screwfix and remembered the type thaf fit inside the door (I actually have this type on bathroom/toilets) and one sort that I thought wouldn't but even that says usable for vertical horizontal.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/smith-locke-heavy-duty-surface-bolt-polished-chrome-102mm/9007j

Never really used one vertically but I can't think of a type that wouldn't work that way.

Alex

If vertical they get loose and can fall down  :grin: :grin: :grin: with the barrel bolt there's a kind of hook that stops that, hard to see on photos though - according to my neighbour that is  :grin:

Michael Rolls

you must have come across some pretty poor quality bolts for that to happen. Have you looked on E-bay? There are some very clear pictures - you don't have to buy
Mike
[email protected]

Alex

Nope,  Screwfix now i know what I'm looking for.

Michael Rolls

[email protected]