posts on the two fora

Started by Michael Rolls, January 12, 2022, 07:02:00 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

It's no secret that Chris is unhappy at the existence of this forum. Amongst his comments are the claims that PF posts are 50% down compared to last year, that topics are being aired here and not there, that there are duplicated topics (which rather contradicts the previous comment).
I do feel for the man, although - as I have told him at the beginning of the debate - I feel that he is being paranoid toward folk who have been trying to help.
I had a look at numbers. 50% down on posts? Well, life's too short to do a really big dig, but for the first 11 days of this month, PF saw 2,368 posts compared to 3487 in January 2021 - a significant reduction, but a fall of 32%, not 50%. For comparison, this forum had 2,756 posts over the same period. Another measure of activity - how many new topics are started? since 0001 yesterday, PF has seen 11 new topics started. On here 4. Average daily posting? So far this month - 11 days - average here 250.5, on PF 215.2.
My reading of all that is that there is plenty of room for both fora; shame Chris doesn't agree, and has alienated some folk with his attitude.
Hopefully, I will be able to continue to post on both fora - I enjoy them both.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

-Oy-

Another thing to consider is just how many active posters does PF have? The total number of members is over 6k I think - but how many are active compared to our 28 members?

I was fairly new to PF so took my time and thought about the situation and concluded that...

1. This place definitely has a friendlier vibe.
2. Almost all the topics I'd grown to like are here too.
3. After running my own forum since 2005 I really do like a forum to be lead from the front. An owner/Admin with less than 200 posts is just unforgiveable. As is one with the attitude in plain sight over there.
4. I see no point in visiting two places to see largely the same stuff. So here I am. PF logged out of and forgotten.

Long Live the Rebel Alliance! :)

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

Scrumpy

I agree..
I can't understand why members put the same posts up on here as they do over there..
It must be confusing sometimes as to what site they are on and who they are chatting to..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

zoony

Not if one doesn't post 'over there'.. :wink:

Wandering Walter

Quote from: Scrumpy on January 12, 2022, 11:22:49 AM
I agree..
I can't understand why members put the same posts up on here as they do over there..
It must be confusing sometimes as to what site they are on and who they are chatting to..

It confuses me ,

Alex

Perhaps it's a kind of loyalty to PF  ?  I wouldn't like to see the forum fold.
It's less confusing now we don't have the same headings ! :grin:

zoony

I don't post on PF nowadays but that's more a personal matter between me and Chris. I'd hate to see PF close down and I very much doubt it will but if it does... :rolleyes:

klondike

There are a lot of ifs about this situation.
As I produced a forum that was to be a backup should PF collapse (which seemed far from impossibe) maybe I should spell out what they are from my perspective.

If Chris took any active interest in his forum...

He would have spotted the bad feelings being created by Sciatico and The Deep. I think this could have been headed off at the pss had he contacted them saying they needed to change their ways or their accounts would be suspended for a period then removed if the bad behaviour was repeated.

He would have seen for himself that the forum was suffering  outages. He would have taken note of complaints to him and on the forum. He says the outages wouldn't have been a problem as it was up 95% of the time. His users disagreed.

Had he kept an eye on  his forum he would have seen discussion of this backup. He says it happened behind his back. Guilty as from the stories of the last time anybody on PF set up a forum of their own his reaction was pretty much what we see  now. I think he actually banned some of the people who posted there but I may be wrong. Countryman is the admin of that forum and although I got a little from him I didn't ask for and was not given detail. I joined that forum as I was expecting PF to fold and had no idea if a forum running on a Raspberry Pi in my back bedroom would work or get enough members to be viable should PF vanish.

Had he simply asked me to shut down the backup when he got the outages fixed I probably would have done so. He didn't. He put me on the naughty step so all my posts had to be vetted bufore publication. Worse from my piont of view so was Scrumpy. In short he put my back up. I did ask people here if they wanted this place left running or not. Nobody told me I should shut it down.

So a forum with not all that many members. If it is to survive new members will need to arrive. Not immeditely but eventually. For that to happen it needed its own domain name and it need to move to commerciaal hosting. Both have happened. Hopefully in time it will be indexed by googleandpeople we know nothing of will turn up. I hope we can be a friendly forum and welcome those potential new friends. Your experiences with the two new members of PF should be put to one side as should speculation on past hisory of some current members. Judge people on what they do right now. Should Deep arrive and be anarragant arse then he will be sent packing. If he arrives under a pseudonym and behave himself then does the past really matter. I hasten to add that I don't think he has.

Finally I know I shoudn't be sharing this but it did make me chuckle a little. IMO, ultimately, there is only one person to blame for this...

I notice also that he has his tale of woe pinned at the top of general still like some rotting corpse hung from traitor's gate. I think he would do better not to have that advertisement of the type of person he is pinned there. He should have just deleted the lot as he has done with so many of his members posts over the years in times of trouble.

Michael Rolls

I use many of the same threads on the two fora, but I don't simply duplicate.
Mike
[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: Michael Rolls on January 12, 2022, 01:35:57 PM
I use many of the same threads on the two fora, but I don't simply duplicate.
Mike

I've noticed that a few don't post here. But surreptitiously answer posts that are on PF, perhaps avoiding the assignation of response?
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

GrannyMac

I've not severed ties, but my posts had reduced before the 'troubles'.  I'm still posting on both.  I can't see me leaving here, so if one has to go...
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

GrannyMac.. I think your quick response to Chris on PF when this problem first started was something I admired greatly..
You spoke up for klondike and what he was doing.. and the reasons why he was doing it..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Yes thanks to all for defences advanced. I think it was Mike who said he no longer participates in breakaway bashing threads and I'm sure that is by far the best approach.

Two watery clichés spring to mind
Regarding what happened Water under the bridge
Regarding the aspersions cast it's Water off a ducks back.

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

klondike

I was checking to see if the large number of bots chomping away at my bandwidth had caused anything to be indexed. Now I have no idea if anybody with use this for their search (probably not) but I was amused by the result as well as heartened there was anything at all yet. Check the highlight  :smiley: