Deltacron

Started by zoony, January 10, 2022, 12:16:19 AM

« previous - next »

zoony

Guess what.. The next variant has appeared.. In Cyprus. No reason why it shouldn't.

"Form a straight line from the door and bare your right arm to the shoulder. STAND STILL!!

Alex

I read tonight that this isn't a new variant, but some kind of contamination. I hope that's the case.

zoony

It really doesn't matter.. at all. (Queen reference) Given past performance a few pop-up experts will say different things and life will go on. imo.

klondike

I'll post here what I put on "the other place" late yesterday but probably hasn't appeared in public yet. It was an answer to a post from Raven declaring covid as the variant king. It has at least one typo. Correcting them and giving the mod more annoyance will amuse me but I'll try to correct them here first. Amazingly it was live. I can't correct the typo either as it was actually posted too long ago.

Actually it isn't, all the Covid variants involve a handful of changes to the spike protein while flu. Well check this out...

Influenza A viruses are divided into subtypes based on two proteins on the surface of the virus: hemagglutinin (H) and neuraminidase (N). There are 18 different hemagglutinin subtypes and 11 different neuraminidase subtypes (H1 through H18 and N1 through N11, respectively). While more than 130 influenza A subtype combinations have been identified in nature, primarily from wild birds, there are potentially many more influenza A subtype combinations given the propensity for virus "reassortment."

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/viruses/types.htm

There are so many variants of the flu virus that the annual jab has to include something to match each of the common ones in circulation that year. They need a crystal ball to get it right too as the correct mix has to be guessed way in advance as the flu vaccine takes a while to produce in quantity.

The current Covid vaccines give pretty much the same and rather limited lifetime protection against all the covid variants to date although that will doubtless change.