past pleasures,

Started by alfred, December 31, 2021, 12:04:13 PM

« previous - next »

alfred

Please  don't get any ideas, naughty naughty go and sit on the naughty step,

i am referring to the days when i played billiards,, and snooker, in the snooker halls  of course you had to pay to get in and there were numerous amount of tables to choose from,

i only played with friends as then other players would try to lure you in by letting you win a few games before money was talked about , luckily i was put wise and politely refused no matter what,

like wise the same again if i played darts with my friends, and in various pubs, where you could always fine a dart board , with darts supplies by the publican, or you could as i did use my own darts,.

Q ; do you remember those days , if so what do you remember , and will you share your expieriances with us,

Cassandra

Always remember the local snooker 'hall', situate in a dimly-lit alley-way, behind a facade of small independent shops. Clearly an early post war single storey pre-formed cement building, you clung to the radiators in between shots in the winter of 1963 to escape frostbite!  We were fortunate and had a full size newish 'Riley' table at home (snooker and cricket were my father's lifetime obsessions). The 'hall's' surfaces resembled a curling rink by comparison and took me ages to adjust to. Somehow though, this shadowy, roll up gaspered, smoky fridge had a magic about it. Nearly every table had a tin of 'Old Holborn' at the baulk end and a pint of 'mild' on the opposite it seemed.

Then next year I had a car and together with my best pal we'd play at every auditorium mostly over a 'Burtons' tailor shop we could find.

Great days, for just a five minute return I'd give a month of my life now.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Diasi

I'd give up everything I own to return to the day I met my wife.

It was a lovely late summer day in really nice surroundings.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]