chris

Started by alfred, December 30, 2021, 10:04:03 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Quote from: Countryman on January 05, 2022, 02:05:04 PM
To let things slide as it appears on the PF seems to suggest a serious lack of control.
I heard that Chris created the forum in memory of his mother. As it mostly looks after itself and he doubtless has plenty to keep himself occupied he virtually never posts. The only time his presence is noticed is on those occasions when there are rucks and then all you see is posts being deleted.

I do look in and read PF still but not avidly yet I do see posts from him now. Pity there was so little before then this board would almost certainly not have appeared and things would have chugged along as they always had. I doubt he would have accepted any offers of technical assistance.

I had mentioned "taking a break" some time ago as I was unhappy with the handling of the dynamic duo which was a reminder to me of the Undercover Pensioner days who had an uncanny knack of stirring things up and several left before I did as fortyone at that time.

The main thing that triggered me to produce this site was the technical neglect of PF. The frequent outages, the full uploads folder, the back level of the forum software which I blamed for the corruption of posts (turned out not to be) and the constant whittling away of functionality.  Taken together I truly believed that Chris had given up and would simply let the domain lapse. After all a cost (albeit a small one) and an annoyance with constant complaints from The Deep. No consolation from participation because he doesn't. Why would he keep it running? I still have no answer to that.

Cassandra

Inevitably 'The Market' will judge.

The point of co-tangency where 'Freedom of Expression' passes to insultive is a 'moot point' of course. Sadly on PF.uk.co it seemed extended to a point where any reasonable consideration for decency by the management had become akin to the tenets of 'Dodge City', without Wyatt Earp.

Overall with declining and irritating technical faults abounding if became increasingly repressive for some, myself included to persist. To date, so far as I can see, no opinion has been extended to embrace this with any sympathy to those 'members' affected, which arguably implies inertia.

It's a free service and therefore the man who operates it is unencumbered by empathy or consideration for others.

Making people feel uncomfortable however for merely reacting to your products failings is a path to exclusion I've found.

Remember Gerald Ratner?
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Scrumpy

Remember Gerald Ratner.. !!

I certainly do Cassandra.. He lost everything when he called the products he was selling 'Tat'... He never recovered from saying that..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Wandering Walter

He shot himself in both feet never mind one

zoony

Quote from: Scrumpy on January 05, 2022, 06:58:32 PM

I certainly do Cassandra.. He lost everything when he called the products he was selling 'Tat'... He never recovered from saying that..

And it wasn't just 'tat' but it was CHEAP tat!!  :grin: :grin:

Wandering Walter

Quote from: klondike on December 30, 2021, 12:04:13 PM
I think only Scrumpy and myself were subject to moderation. I won't be returning to PF for reasons I have touched on elsewhere  Nobody else is impacted at all sfaik.

In comparison to most of you and the length of time of time you have been debating with each and know each other well, I am the new kid on the block.

I prefer being in this Forum instead of bouncing between both I get confused easily , I ignored the two who joined after me I did not believe their boasting IMHO they were just out to offend and insult.

Only thing is I don't notifications of new posts in thread I have posted I have to flick through each thread one by one  , I don't know why unless I have not ticked a box somewhere that permits it.

I have no wish to stay in the other Forum

klondike

Quote from: klondike on January 05, 2022, 05:00:26 PM
Quote from: Wandering Walter on January 05, 2022, 01:39:20 PM
I don't get notifications of replies to threads in here for some reason
Not implemented and can't be until I can get emails to work some other way than by piggybacking my gmail account.

Quote from: Wandering Walter on January 05, 2022, 07:59:37 PM
Only thing is I don't notifications of new posts in thread I have posted I have to flick through each thread one by one  , I don't know why unless I have not ticked a box somewhere that permits it.

Michael Rolls

Chris seems determined to believe that he is being cut to the quick by the existence of this forum, and any attempt to persuade him otherwise promptly results in a locked topic. I still post on both fora, but I have given up trying to get Chris to see sense and now just ignore his postings
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Wandering Walter

Great thanks  Doh don't give me any tea breaks it will take days to retrain me

Cassandra

Quote from: Wandering Walter on January 05, 2022, 08:15:28 PM
Great thanks  Doh don't give me any tea breaks it will take days to retrain me

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Countryman

Quote from: Scrumpy on January 05, 2022, 06:58:32 PM

I think he actually called his products, "crap"!

klondike

How to lose customers and your business. I was looking to see if I could find the exact quote and came upon this. Safe to click as they seem to have stopped begging for now and has some  great quotes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Ratner#:~:text=The%20speech,-Although%20widely%20regarded&text=People%20say%2C%20%22How%20can%20you,last%20longer%20than%20the%20earrings%22.

OK OK some  spoilers for those hating links...

We also do cut-glass sherry decanters complete with six glasses on a silver-plated tray that your butler can serve you drinks on, all for £4.95. People say, "How can you sell this for such a low price?", I say, "because it's total crap."[6]

He compounded this by going on to remark that one of the sets of earrings was "cheaper than a prawn sandwich from Marks & Spencer's, but I have to say the sandwich will probably last longer than the earrings".

ME

I once contacted Chris because I did not like the way in which certain members were being treated in violation of all the rules. I asked Chris to post a comment reminding everyone of those rules. His response was to state that members were free to report individual postings.

:sad: :sad: :sad:

zoony

Hi ME.. My own experience of emailing Chris met a with similarly bland, disinterested responses including those complaining about the constant interruptions-to-service on PF. His putting certain members of PF under restrictions I thought high-handed and spiteful. They were my last straw.
PF has been a great friend over the last few difficult years and it makes me sad to say goodbye to it here.

1955vintage

In his defence, Deep and Scatterbrain are back under control, rarely posting and not flaming.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off