Babies in Parliament

Started by Alex, December 29, 2021, 11:15:19 AM

« previous - next »

Alex

Babies should be allowed into the Commons during debates - as long as they are not disruptive, the Speaker said today.  This latest row has come about because Labour MP Stella Creasy has stated that she can't afford childcare.  :rolleyes:
As far as I know babies are not allowed into offices or other places of work, so why should the HOC be an exception  ? 

Raven

I have a VERY old fashioned attitude to children, it's always caused a lot of rows especially with my ex DIL. I have always said if your going to have a baby, that's great but you look after it, you don't expect others to give up their way of life so you can dump your baby on them and return to work.  :nooo:
AND, yes I did give up my work and looked after my kids myself untill they both went to school and I returned to work and they went into after school groups. :tongue:

Wandering Walter

Wife went back to work part time ASAP for the simple reason we needed the money hard to pay a mortgage and household bills on one income I worked as much overtime as possible as I did before we had children 

Alex

As a single Mum I had to go back too work, without my Mum & Dad's help, I don't know how things would have turned out.

Raven

When my first grandchild was born I was still working and my DIL thought I should stop and take care of her baby so she could return to work. [1080] There followed an almighty row, where a lot was said but I point blank refused to be her baby sitter. I'd only just got my own life back and the kids out from under my feet. No way was I going to start over while herself swans off back to work. :nooo:
I told her, if you can't afford them you don't have them. :downvote:

Alex

I think that's a bit harsh Raven, it's usually easy to compromise with looking after grandkids.  I'm too old to start now, but ten years ago I'd have loved to have my grandson a couple of afternoons a week, splitting the days with the other grandma.  As it is, childcare costs are unbelievable for my son and DIL and I'm sad I can't help out.   And no, they can't afford to give up work.

Raven

As I said in my earlier post......I have a VERY old fashioned attitude to children, it's always caused a lot of rows.
It's just the way I am Alex. If I'd never had kids of my own I'd not have been bothered at all, but I did soooooo.
I didn't mind looking after them so they could have a night out or an W/E away just not full time. I had my own life and I was keeping it.

crabbyob

i think its very arrogant to assume, that your MIL will roll over and let you get on with your life after you give birth, and yes i agree with Raven, if they had had the discussion before it was born, ok, but just to assume, is plain stupid [says he brought up by his granny  [1070]]

Alex

I wouldn't have taken it on full time either, that's what I meant by compromise.  Unfortunately as things worked out I had my son when I was 30, he's had his son at 41 so there's no way I could cope looking after a baby at this age, my knees would never handle it  :grin: :grin:

crabbyob

seventy-one !!!!!...lol,
i think Raven point was her DIL expected Raven to give up HER job to baby-sit....

Raven

At the time I was working part time, Looking after my house, my parents house, 4 Old English Sheepies, and teaching Linedance at night. I was finally free and enjoying (mostly) my life as it was.
Yes we did have the conversation early on, not long after they were married. I remember it well as I'd had the same conversation with my daughter earlier and she agreed with me, she also stuck to it.
Apart from the fact I simply didn't have time to bring up her baby, I simply didn't want to. She assumed (wrongly) that I'd change my mind once I'd seen the baby........I didn't. But I did have a great relationship with the wee one and still have.

Alex

No I wouldn't have done that, but maybe I'd have gone part time  ? it's all (what's the word ? ) now anyway.   :grin:

I just used those ages off the top of my head  :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed:

Raven

Quote from: crabbyob on December 29, 2021, 12:32:41 PM
seventy-one !!!!!...lol,
i think Raven point was her DIL expected Raven to give up HER job to baby-sit....

Correct. My work was something I enjoyed and it was not too bad pay either.

Diasi

Quote from: Alex on December 29, 2021, 11:15:19 AM
Babies should be allowed into the Commons during debates - as long as they are not disruptive, the Speaker said today.  This latest row has come about because Labour MP Stella Creasy has stated that she can't afford childcare.  :rolleyes:
As far as I know babies are not allowed into offices or other places of work, so why should the HOC be an exception  ?

Have female MPs & the Speaker not hear about childcare providers?

I'm sure that paid childcare is quite possible to afford on an MP's salary, helped by a bit of careful expenses fiddling.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

The idea of a baby in the chamber might possibly raise the standard of debate
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]